civus
Minutes

Committee on Historic Designation — May 17, 1983

Philadelphia Historical CommissionMay 17, 1983
Open source PDF

Properties mentioned in this record

Addresses spoken or written in this record, resolved to their property pages. Mentions with a timestamp jump to the exact moment.

People mentioned

Names our system found in this transcript. Automatically extracted, so it can include anyone named in the record, not only officials or parties.

  • Alexander Henry
  • Baker
  • Bishop Kendrick
  • Charles Schaef
  • Constable Brothers
  • Dallett
  • David Baldinger
  • Dorothy Elion Richmond
  • Edward Pinkowski
  • Edwin F. Durang
  • Frances E. W. Harper
  • Frank Miles Day
  • Furness, Evans & Company
  • G. W. Hewitt
  • George Eaton
  • Harris
  • Henry Augustus Sims
  • Horace Trumbauer
  • Horace W. Castor
  • Hyman Myers
  • Jacob Hall
  • James Mooney
  • James Russell Harris
  • Janet S. Klein
  • Jefferson M. Moak
  • Jennie M. Fels
  • John Gottfried Wachsmuth
  • John Snowden Henry
  • Joseph Fels
  • Joseph Huston
  • Louis Magaziner
  • Matthew Baird
  • Matthias Baldwin
  • Mrs. Louis Linett
  • Murray G. Isard
  • Newman
  • Otto Eisenlohr
  • Percival E. Foerderer
  • Peter Eaton
  • Peter F. Getz
  • Samuel S. Fels
  • Sara Jane Elk
  • T. Mellon Rogers
  • Theodore W. Cramp
  • Theophilus Parsons Chandler
  • Thomas Austin
  • Thomas Love Latta
  • Victor Eberhard
  • W. D. Hewitt
  • William C. Sharpless
  • William Wanamaker
  • William Woodburn Potter

Organizations mentioned

PHILADELPHIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION COMMITTEE ON CERTIFICATION MINUTES 17 May 1983 Present: Edward Pinkowski, Chairman of the Committee on Certification and Member, Philadelphia Historical Commission Janet S. Klein, Vice-Chairman, Philadelphia Historical Commission David Baldinger, Chief, Area Planning Division, Philadelphia City Planning Commission Hyman Myers Sara Jane Elk, Historical Research Technician Jefferson M. Moak, Executive Assistant to the Chairman The fifteenth meeting of the Committee on Certification met at 2:30 P.M. on Tuesday, 17 May 1983 in Room 1313, City Hall Annex. OLD BUSINESS At its meeting of 5 May 1983, the Philadelphia Historical Commission requested its Committee on Certification to review the certifications of nine buildings imposed during the period 1 May 1982 to 3 March 1983 because the owners of these buildings had replied to the Commission's letter objecting to the certification or requesting a delay in its imposition. The buildings remanded to the Committee are: 123 S. 22nd Street: Robert Lewis House 125 S. 22nd Street: John C. Bullitt House 127 S. 22nd Street: Stephen Farrelly House 129-131 S. 22nd Street: Travis Cochran House 1707-1709 Arch Street: Phila. Tract Society, Methodist Church Building 2600 N. Lawrence Street: St. Christopher's Hospital for Children 8238-8240 Ridge Avenue: Sheppard-Griffith House 1917 Walnut Street: Wanamaker-Foerderer House 1701 Walnut Street: Allman Building, or Estey Hall 123 S. 22nd Street: The Robert Lewis House Attributed to Furness, Evans & Company, the Robert Lewis House was erected around 1886. Although positive identification of the design has not been made, the building exhibits characteristics found in other Furness- designed structures. The Commission certified this building because of its attribution to Furness, its overall architectural merit, and its place within the 22nd Street streetscape on 1 May 1982. A letter was sent to the owner on 16 June 1982 and the owners, the Waiters and Waitresses Union, replied on 23 June 1982 voicing their objections to certification because they planned to sell the building. A check by the staff revealed that they still own Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 2 the structure in May 1983. After some discussion, the Committee voted 3-1 to reaffirm their earlier recommendation of 19 January 1982 that the build- ing be certified. Mr. Pinkowski voted against reaffirmation arguing that the owner should retain the option to reject certification. 125 S. 22nd Street: The Edward C. Bullit House Erected from the designs of G. W. & W. D. Hewitt in 1886, the

recommendation of 19 January 1982 that the build- ing be certified. Mr. Pinkowski voted against reaffirmation arguing that the owner should retain the option to reject certification. 125 S. 22nd Street: The Edward C. Bullit House Erected from the designs of G. W. & W. D. Hewitt in 1886, the Edward C. Bullit House received the recommendation of the Committee on Certifi- cation on 19 January 1982 and certification by the Commission on 1 May 1983 on account of its architectural merit, its connections with the Hewitts and its place in the streetscape. The owners, Running Press, replied on 22 June 1982 to the Commission's 16 June 1982 declining certification. As with 123 S. 22nd Street, the Committee voted 3 - 1 (Mr. Pinkowski in the negative) to reaffirm their earlier recommendation. 127 S. 22nd Street: The Stephen Farrelly House Designed in 1890 by the firm of Constable Brothers and T. Mellon Rogers, the Stephen Farrelly House stands as the last structure erected in this row of five buildings along 22nd Street between Samson and Walnut Streets. The Committee on Certification recommended certification of it on 19 January 1982. The Commission agreed with this recommendation on 1 May 1982 by imposing certification based on its architectural merits and its importance to the streetscape. The owner, Ms. Dorothy Elion Richmond, wrote on 20 July 1982 in response to the Commission's 16 June 1982 letter informing her of the Commission's decision. She stated that she could not give the Commission a definite answer regarding certification at that time and would visit the Commission's offices at a later date to obtain further information relating to certification. Neither the Commission or its staff has received any further word from her. The Committee voted 3-1 (Mr. Pin- kowski against) to reaffirm its earlier recommendation that the Stephen Farrelly House at 127 S. 22nd Street be certified. 129-131 S. 22nd Street: The Travis Cochran House George W. & William D. Hewitt designed the Travis Cochran House which was erected in 1883. The Committee on Certification recommended its certi- fication on 19 January 1982 on account of its architectural merit, its association with the Hewitts and its importance to the streetscape of 22nd Street. The Commission concurred by certifying the building on 1 May 1982. On 25 June 1982, Mrs. Louis Linett sent the Commission a response to the 16 June 1982 letter by certified mail stating

its architectural merit, its association with the Hewitts and its importance to the streetscape of 22nd Street. The Commission concurred by certifying the building on 1 May 1982. On 25 June 1982, Mrs. Louis Linett sent the Commission a response to the 16 June 1982 letter by certified mail stating that she had no interest in certification. The Committee, recognizing the important qualities of the house and noting the owner did not reside in it, voted 4-0 to reaffirm its earlier recommendation that the Travis Cochran House be certified. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 P. 3 1707-1709 Arch Street: Philadelphia Tract Society, Methodist Church Building Constructed in 1922 from the designs of Horace W. Castor, this building actually served as an annex for the Methodist Church, which erected their headquarters at 1701-1705 Arch Street in 1914 and allowed the Robert Morris Hotel to construct an additional eight stories in 1921. Castor's importance in architecture rests with his designs for many church edifices throughout Philadelphia and his few major buildings including the Scottish Rite Temple at Broad and Race Streets, currently undergoing demolition. The Committee on Certification originally considered the nomination of this building in November 1981 as part of the Robert Morris Hotel nomination and directed the staff to prepare a proper nomination for the building as an individual item. After receipt of this form, the Committee recommended certification on 14 November 1982 citing its architectural merit as a good example of the Art Deco style. The Commission certified the building on 4 November 1982 and a letter to the owner of record, the Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development, was sent the same day. This letter invoked a response dated 1 December 1982 from Murray G. Isard, of Issac Greenberg Real Estate Company, asking that no action be taken on the matter of certification pending a review as to its advisability by the owner. To date, neither the Commission or its staff has received any further communication relating to 1707-1709 Arch Street. The Committee again cited the building's architectural merits in voting 4-0 to reaffirm its earlier recommendation. 2600 N. Lawrence Street: St. Christopher's Hospital for Children In 1884, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children hired George W. & William D. Hewitt to design the back wing of the building presently located on the northwest corner of Lawrence and Huntingdon Streets. Five years later, the hospital engaged Frank Miles Day

N. Lawrence Street: St. Christopher's Hospital for Children In 1884, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children hired George W. & William D. Hewitt to design the back wing of the building presently located on the northwest corner of Lawrence and Huntingdon Streets. Five years later, the hospital engaged Frank Miles Day to design the front addition. The building's Georgian Revival style marks it as one of the first buildings in the Philadelphia area to exhibit this style of architecture. The Committee on Certification recommended the building's certification on 14 Sept 1982 on account of its architecture and its position as the oldest children's hospital building still in active use in the country. The Commission certified the building on 4 November 1982. On that date, a letter was sent to the owner, the United Hospitals, Inc., who responded on 8 November 1982 declining certification, although members of the St. Christopher's Hospital staff originally nominated the building. The Committee unanimously reaffirmed their earlier recommendation regarding certification of 2600 N. Lawrence Street. 1917 Walnut Street: The Wanamaker-Foerderer House Designed in 1900 by Joseph Huston as an alteration to an existing townhouse on the site, this building at 1917 Walnut Street rests its significance both on its architecture and its association with its early residents, William Wanamaker of the clothier firm Wanamaker & Brown, Percival E. Foerderer of the Robert Foerderer leather manufacturing company and Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 4 Thomas Love Latta of the construction firm of Armstrong & Latta, Huston designed several notable buildings during his shortened career including the Witherspoon Building in Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania State Capitol Building in Harrisburg. The Committee recommended its certification on 14 September 1982 and the Commission extended certification to 1917 Walnut Street on 4 November 1982. The Commission's letter dated 4 November 1982 received two replies: one dated 15 November 1982 asking for an extension of the waiver period and the second dated 17 December 1982 declining certification. The United Order of Theosophists, owners of the building, sent both replies. The Committee, recognising the building's architectural merits, voted unanimously to reaffirm its earlier stance regarding certification of 1917 Walnut Street. 1701 Walnut Street: The Allman Building, or Estey Hall Considered for nomination on 16 December 1982 and certified on 3 March 1983, the Allman Building dates to 1910 when Baker & Dallett, both veterans of Furness, Evans & Company, designed this eight

earlier stance regarding certification of 1917 Walnut Street. 1701 Walnut Street: The Allman Building, or Estey Hall Considered for nomination on 16 December 1982 and certified on 3 March 1983, the Allman Building dates to 1910 when Baker & Dallett, both veterans of Furness, Evans & Company, designed this eight story structure. The Commission certified the building as a rare example of the Commercial style of architecture in Philadelphia. A letter was sent to the owners, the Allman Associates, on 16 March 1983. Their response, dated 21 March 1983, thanked the Commission for appreciating the architectural and historical qualities of the building but asked that imposition of certification be postponed until 1 January 1985, after they had completed anticipated alterations and renovations to the building. The Committee reaffirmed by an unanimous vote its recommendation of 16 December 1982 that the Allman Building receive certification by the Commission. The Committee on Certification considered three buildings which presently appear on the Philadelphia Register of Historical Places without any prior authorization for their inclusion found in the records or minutes of the Commission. These buildings are: 2034-2050 Walnut Street: Second (now First) Presbyterian Church 3812 Walnut Street: Otto Eisenlohr Residence 3818 Walnut Street: Samuel S. Fels Residence 2034-2050 Walnut Street: Second (now First) Presbyterian Church The Second Presbyterian Church played a large role in the history of Presbytery in Philadelphia. Founded in 1742, the Second Church provided many Presbyterians an alternate to the First Presbyterian Church which dates to 1698. During its long history, the Second Church provided leadership to Presbyterians and fathered several addition congregations including the West Arch Street Presbyterian Church at 18th and Arch Streets. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 5 In the late 1860s, the Second Presbyterian Church purchased the lot at the southeast corner of 21st and Walnut Streets and commissioned Henry Augustus Sims to design their new church edifice. This building took between 1869 and 1872 to complete. Sims, a founding member of the American Institute of Architects, has few major buildings still extant from his short career. Probably his most notable structure was the old Girard Avenue Bridge, which at the time of its opening was hailed as the widest bridge in the world. The congregation hired Theophilus Parsons Chandler in 1884 to design a new chapel at the rear of the property to replace an earlier one erected before the church building was

old Girard Avenue Bridge, which at the time of its opening was hailed as the widest bridge in the world. The congregation hired Theophilus Parsons Chandler in 1884 to design a new chapel at the rear of the property to replace an earlier one erected before the church building was started. The bell tower and a one story addition, both designed by Furness, Evans & Company, were added in 1900. The Second Presbyterian Church ended 207 years of an independent existence serving Philadelphia when it merged with the First Presbyterian Church in 1909. Four years later, the reconstituted First Church remodeled parts of the building and refinished other areas of the complex. The Committee voted 4-0 to recommend certification of the Second (now First) Presbyterian Church at 2034-2050 Walnut Street citing the church's histories, their long record of religious service to Philadelphians, the building's architectural merits and the complex's importance as a composite work of three Victorian architects: Sims, Chandler & Furness. 3812 Walnut Street: Otto Eisenlohr Residence The Eisenlohr Residence, a 2½ story, limestone cladded structure erected in 1910, owes its design to Horace Trumbauer, one of Philadelphia's premier architects of the early 20th century. Otto Eisenlohr was one of the founders of Otto Eisenlohr & Brothers, a cigar manufacturing concern. Although not a leading industrialist, he and his brothers obviously enjoyed some money and status, choosing an area of residence already populated by several of the leading citizens of the day. Trumbauer proved to be one of the more versatile architects of his day, executing residential and commercial designs with ease. His use of limestone and the general design employed for the Eisenlohr Residence reminds the observer of the townhouse he designed for Theodore W. Cramp at 1720 Locust Street two years previously, now occupied by the Curtis Institute of Music as Knapp Hall. The Committee voted 4-0 to recommend certification of 3812 Walnut Street, the Otto Eisenlohr Residence, on the basis of its architectural merits and its association with Horace Trumbauer. 3818 Walnut Street: The Samuel S. Fels Residence The Fels Residence rests its significance upon its architecture and its association with Samuel S. Fels, and his wife Jennie Pels. It stands 2½ stories high in a brick Georgian Revival style. Although Georgian and Colonial Revival style examples of architecture had been erected since the early 1890s, none had approached the pure form and grace exhibited by

architecture and its association with Samuel S. Fels, and his wife Jennie Pels. It stands 2½ stories high in a brick Georgian Revival style. Although Georgian and Colonial Revival style examples of architecture had been erected since the early 1890s, none had approached the pure form and grace exhibited by Newman & Harris's design for this house, executed in 1907-1908. Newman & Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 6 Harris, in their various corporate names, designed several important struc- tures in Philadelphia including the 1st City Troop Armory on 23rd Street (1900), the Rittenhouse Club, 1811 Walnut Street (1901) and at least three rittenhouse Square residences during the period 1902 to 1907. The firm employed Louis Magaziner who later assumed control of the firm. Although the firm designed the house, the actual designer:is as yet unknown. A biography of Louis Pels gives the credit to Magaziner. A fact partially supported by Magaziner's friendship with Pels and a later commission per- formed by Magaziner on this building for Pels. Samuel S. Pels became one of the great philanthropists of the 20th Century. A native of Yanceyville, North Carolina, he traveled with his family after the Civil War before settling in Philadelphia. The family established a soap manufacturing business, Pels and Company, with Samuel's brother, Joseph, as senior partner. In 1894, Pels & Company introduced Pels-Naptha laundry soap to their line of soaps and within several years, the demand for it caused the company to abandon all other soaps to con- centrate on this money-producing product. With his fortune made, Samuel Pels broadened his scope of activities, involving himself in many ventures designed to better the lot both of his fellow man and of his native city as a whole. He founded or assisted in the founding of the Federation of Jewish Charities (1901), the Allied Jewish Appeal (1938), the Committee of Severity (1904), the Bureau of Municipal Research (1908), the Criminal Research Bureau (1928), and the Big Brothers Association of Philadelphia. He also served on many boards including those of the Philadelphia Housing Association, the Philadelphia Playgrounds and Recreation Association, the Welfare Federation of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Orchestra Asso- ciation among others. In recognition of his efforts, he received the "Philadelphia Award" in 1948. Not to be completely outdone, his wife, Jen- nie M. Pels, helped to establish the Settlement Music School (1914) and the Curtis Institute of Music

the Welfare Federation of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Orchestra Asso- ciation among others. In recognition of his efforts, he received the "Philadelphia Award" in 1948. Not to be completely outdone, his wife, Jen- nie M. Pels, helped to establish the Settlement Music School (1914) and the Curtis Institute of Music (1924). Pels' lasting contributions were not restricted to the list recited above. He established the Samuel S. Pels Fund, the Pels Research Institute for the Study of Human Development located in Yellow Springs, Ohio, the Pels Research Institute at Temple University, and the Pels Institute of Local and State Government, which presently occupies the Pels residence and has ever since his death in 1950. The Committee recommended unanimously that the Pels Residence be certified recognising the association of the house with Samuel S. Pels and the overall architectural merits of the house. Disston Street and Oxford Avenue: Trinity Church The Committee discussed a letter received by a parishioner asking the Commission to re-evaluate the historical significance of the church as a result of an exterior lighting project recently installed on the building. Since no pictures were available showing the lighting as in- stalled, the Committee voted 4-0 to table the matter until pictures and a staff report were submitted. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 7 NEW BUSINESS 1006 Bainbridge Street: Frances Ellen Watkins Harper House The significance of this house rests solely on its association with Frances E. W. Harper. The actual date of construction of the house is unknown and the house itself has undergone numerous alterations during the twentieth century including work currently underway which have completely altered the appearance of the building. During her life, Frances Harper achieved acclaim as a reformer as well as a literary figure among Afro-Americans. Harper's achievements included her activities as a reformer in the anti-slavery, women's rights, temperance, and civil rights movements of the post Civil War years. In addition she wrote poetry and essays which served as vehicles for her comments upon the life and times of her people. Born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1825, Harper moved to Columbus, Ohio in 1851. She soon became a lecturer on the anti-slavery circuit and in 1854 published her first major work, Poems on Miscellaneous Subjects which eventually reached its 20th edition in 1871. She was an ardent supporter of the Fifteenth Amendment and instrumental in the founding of the American

Columbus, Ohio in 1851. She soon became a lecturer on the anti-slavery circuit and in 1854 published her first major work, Poems on Miscellaneous Subjects which eventually reached its 20th edition in 1871. She was an ardent supporter of the Fifteenth Amendment and instrumental in the founding of the American Woman Suffrage Association in 1869. During the 1870s and 1880s, she expanded her horizons and became a director of the Women Congress, a temperance group. In 1885, was appointed the Pennsylvania State Superintendent for Work Among the Colored People and in 1889 assumed the post of National Superintendent of Work Among Colored People of the North, the first person to occupy it. She also participated actively in the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. She resided at 1006 Bainbridge Street from 1870 to her death in 1911. Frances Harper was one of the most outstanding women of the nineteenth century contributing to America's literature and actively fighting to abolish the country's social problems. Her overall concern for mankind materialised into her involvement in the abolitionist movement, the women's suffrage movement, the temperance movement, and the education and protection of the newly freed black men and women of the South. For deep concern for people had to find other means of expression outside of physical involvement and so she wrote numerous pieces of poetry and one novel all with a social perspective. She stands as a major social humanitarian and writer of American history and culture. The Committee spent a large amount of time discussing 1006 Bainbridge Street. They agreed that Frances Harper deserved recognition but the present appearance of the house prevented a consensus on recommending the building's certification. The members agreed that the building as it presently stands does not reflect its condition as the residence of Frances Harper. Although Mr. Pinkowski advocated its certification based solely upon its connection with Frances Harper, despite the later alterations, the rest of the Committee hesitated to agree. Mrs. Klein asked the staff to see how the National Park Service treats the building since it does appear on the National Register of Historic Places. The Committee noted the absence of James Mooney from the meeting and voted 4-0 to table the nomination until they could hear his opinions at a later meeting. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 P. 8 814 N. Broad Street: The Matthew Baird Mansion Erected in 1863-1864, the Matthew Baird

The Committee noted the absence of James Mooney from the meeting and voted 4-0 to table the nomination until they could hear his opinions at a later meeting. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 P. 8 814 N. Broad Street: The Matthew Baird Mansion Erected in 1863-1864, the Matthew Baird Mansion represents a significant element in Philadelphia's development as it reflects the varied factors and values which influenced the growth of the industrial city in the nineteenth century. It marked a beginning of a trend for industrialists to live in the nearby vicinity of their plants and represents the time when North Broad Street served as the address for many of the prominent men in Philadelphia. Matthew Baird worked at several diverse occupations before achieving the position of Superintendent of the Boiler Division of the Baldwin Locomotive Company in 1838. Matthias Baldwin had invented the first American steam engine; his first locomotive "Old Ironsides" ran on the Germantown & Norristown Railroad in 1832. However, Baldwin had problems with the design of the early locomotives. The firm's turning point came with Baird's invention of a simple apparatus which consumed the smoke created by coal-burning steam engines, assisting in making the engines more efficient. As a reward, Baldwin elevated Baird to a partnership in the firm and after Baldwin's death, Baird assumed full control remaining the organization the Baldwin Locomotive Works, M. Baird & Company. At the time of Baird's death in 1877, the Baldwin Works produced more than 400 locomotives annually and employed over 2,000 workers. As with many prominent men, Baird served on many boards including those of Central National Bank, the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company, the Pennsylvania Steel Company, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and the Northern Home for Friendless Children. The Baird Mansion, although altered significantly on the interior, has lost little of its original exterior appearance, except for the replacement of the front doors around 1975. Its Renaissance Revival style provides marked contrast to the early and mid twentieth century facades which surround it on North Broad Street. It remains as a rare survivor of the days when the homes of nouveau-riche industrialists, i.e. Disston, Elkins, Harris, Widener, and others, adorned both sides of the street north of Spring Garden Street. The Committee voted 4-0 to recommend the certification of 814 North Broad Street citing its architectural merits and its association with Matthew Baird

of the days when the homes of nouveau-riche industrialists, i.e. Disston, Elkins, Harris, Widener, and others, adorned both sides of the street north of Spring Garden Street. The Committee voted 4-0 to recommend the certification of 814 North Broad Street citing its architectural merits and its association with Matthew Baird and the Baldwin Locomotive Works. 310-312 Catharine Street: The Hebrew Literature Society Building Altered in 1904 by the firm of Harris & Richards, the Hebrew Literature Society Building stands 2½ stories high with a mansard roof. The actual date of construction is at present undetermined. The significance of this building hinges upon its focal point for the sizable Jewish population immigrating into America during the turn of the century and its association with Harris & Richards, a firm which continued the practice Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 9 of the large nineteenth century architectural office of Wilson Brothers and Company, but whose work during the early twentieth century failed to reach the heights of its predecessor. Mr. Myers wanted more information provided on the building's archi- tectural history including date of construction and the nature of the work performed by Harris & Richards in 1904 because he read the building's facade as containing a more involved history than that detailed in the nomination form. The Committee also felt that the building's areas of significance in social/humanitarian and literature, both of which were checked on the nomination, were not adequately explained and requested more research and information on these points. The Committee then voted 4-0 to table the nomination for 310-312 Catharine Street, the Hebrew Literature Society Building. 4908 Germantown Avenue: The Wachsmuth-Henry House The Wachsmuth-Henry House rests its significance upon its archi- tectural merits, its position in the entire Germantown Avenue Historical District, and its connection with Amexander Henry, a three term mayor of Philadelphia. Erected c. 1760 as a small house set back from the corner of Hays Mill Road (now Logan Street) and Germantown Avenue, it received new prominence with two additions, erected for John Gottfried Wachsmuth during the 1820s. The older portion of the house had faced Hays Mill Road and the Wachsmuth additions gave the building a totally new appearance and turned it towards Germantown Avenue. When Wachsmuth died in 1926, the heirs sold the house to John Snowden Henry, merchant, director of the Second Bank of the United States, and co-founder of the

had faced Hays Mill Road and the Wachsmuth additions gave the building a totally new appearance and turned it towards Germantown Avenue. When Wachsmuth died in 1926, the heirs sold the house to John Snowden Henry, merchant, director of the Second Bank of the United States, and co-founder of the Germantown Infant School. His son, Alexander, served as a member of the City Councils from 1856-1858 and achieved the position of mayor in 1858, occupying the post until 1865. His most notable accomplishment during his term involved im- proving the quality of the Philadelphia police force. The Committee had many questions about the nomination form, the in- formation it contained and the way the author penned it. They also wanted some picture of the older, rear wing of the house. Mr. Myers questioned the author's assertion that this building was indeed "a well-preserved example of Georgian-Federal architecture" and that it formed "an important part of the Germantown Avenue Historical District streetscape". Miss Elk pulled the Commission's file on the Germantown Avenue Historical District which contains a 1982 inventory of all buildings located within it. According to its compilers, they ranked 4908 Germantown Avenue as significant to the character of the district. Mr. Myers and Mr. Moak then agreed to visit the building to ascertain its actual condition and characteristics. The Committee voted 4-0 to table the nomination of 4908 Germantown Avenue until these gentlemen make a report. In addition, the Committee requested that the form be rewritten to limit itself to the significance of the individual building before taking further action. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 10 Krewstown Road above Pennypack Creek: The Eaton-Henderson House Susquehanna Road, east of Verree Road: The Hall-Wiley House The Committee considered both the Eaton-Henderson House and the Hall-Wiley House together they possess significance for much of the same reasons and both possibly face the same eventual fate. Both buildings stand along the Pennypack Creek on opposite banks in Northeast Philadelphia. The Eaton-Henderson House dates to c. 1740 when George Eaton granted 2½ of his 100 acres to his son, Peter Eaton. When Peter sold the land in 1762, he had already erected a message on it which documentary and visual evidence would indicate that this would be the present house. The date of the Hall-Wiley House is unknown, but probably dates to the early part of the 18th century. Extensive research has

Peter sold the land in 1762, he had already erected a message on it which documentary and visual evidence would indicate that this would be the present house. The date of the Hall-Wiley House is unknown, but probably dates to the early part of the 18th century. Extensive research has failed to pick up the trail lost in a sheriff's sale from Jacob Hall to Thomas Austin in 1786. Both houses rest their significance primarily on their antiquity and as prime examples of rural 18th century architecture. Northeast Philadelphia remained one of the last areas of Philadelphia to retain its rural and agricultural character. In it, one can find numerous examples of rural architecture still scattered, unnoticed and unrecorded. Many of these are "finds" to the architectural historian for the Northeast remains an area not comprehensively surveyed. Both of these houses are two of the several surprises uncovered by Historical Commission staff in 1981. The antiquity of the Eaton-Henderson House gives the house significance as one of the oldest documented houses in Northeast Philadelphia. Both houses stand as good examples of rural colonial architecture in size, scale and materials. Their anonymity results because they did not house any of the great or -great of Philadelphia's past nor do they qualify as mansions even in the days when mansions only equaled the size of a typical early twentieth century Colonial Revival house. However, their significance should be greater because these dwellings, like their urban counterparts on Elfreth's Alley and throughout Society Hill, stand as examples of the type of structure routinely inhabited by the yeoman stock who founded most of the villages of the Northeast and are as important in interpreting the history of the Pennypack Creek Valley as Glen Fern, Valley Green Inn, the Wissahickon Drive police station and the old mill below Ridge Avenue are to the ambience and understanding to the Wissahickon Valley. The preservation of these houses would aid historians and others in their studies of the style and way of life practiced by the rural farmers of Northeast Philadelphia. The Committee first questioned whether these two buildings appeared on the Fairmount Park Commission's demolition list of 1981 and received a positive response. Mr. Myers stated that the buildings should be considered solely on their antiquity and importance to the Northeast because this type of architecture was commonplace throughout the area. Mr. Baldinger suggested that the Commission

buildings appeared on the Fairmount Park Commission's demolition list of 1981 and received a positive response. Mr. Myers stated that the buildings should be considered solely on their antiquity and importance to the Northeast because this type of architecture was commonplace throughout the area. Mr. Baldinger suggested that the Commission should influence the developers of the Fairmount Park Master Plan to rank these buildings as important Park buildings and so lessened the possibility of their demolition. Mrs. Klein voiced the opinion that Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 11 the Park Commission be notified of the Historical Commission's review of these buildings before the 2 June 1983 meeting. The Committee,by separate votes, voted 4-0 to recommend certification of both the Eaton-Henderson House on Krewstown Road and the Hall-Wiley House on Susquehanna Road on account of their importance to the history of the Pennypack Creek region specifically and the Northeast Philadelphia area in general. 928 E. Moyamensing Avenue: Lithuanian National Hall In short, the Lithuanian National Hall, erected in 1915, owes its significance to its historical function as a center for Lithuanian social and cultural life in Southwark. Its architect, Charles Schaef, does not rank anywhere near the top practitioners of the field. Indeed, he survived primarily upon the design of ecclesiastical structures throughout the Philadelphia region. The Hall does reflect the active Lithuanian society which existed in Philadelphia. Although by 1920 their numbers had only grown to 4,392 residents, more than 30 Lithuanian societies and 3 Lithuanian Catholic parishes prospered in the city. The Lithuanian National Hall provided a hub for Lithuanian-related activities. In addition to its role as a center for social activity, the Hall also housed a "beneficial society" and a savings bank. The Committee found itself split as to the eligibility of this building for certification. First, they expressed dissatisfaction with the submitted form, finding the statement of significance wordy and not addressing the actual issues until halfway through the statement. Mr. Nyera did not feel that the building warranted certification on architectural grounds and wanted the Lithuanian connection to the building and to the city in general addressed more forcefully. The Committee voted 3-1 to table the nomination of 928 E. Moyamensing Avenue pending the receipt of a revised nomination form. Mr. Pinkowski voted against the motion arguing that the building's obvious connections with the Lithuanian population of Philadelphia makes its eligible as a landmark

in general addressed more forcefully. The Committee voted 3-1 to table the nomination of 928 E. Moyamensing Avenue pending the receipt of a revised nomination form. Mr. Pinkowski voted against the motion arguing that the building's obvious connections with the Lithuanian population of Philadelphia makes its eligible as a landmark to their presence in Philadelphia. 615 Pine Street: The Morris Weinstein Residence In 1915, Louis Magaziner and William Woodburn Potter, both trained in the office of Cope and Stewardson, were commissioned to design a Colonial Revival facade for a Federal building erected around 1810. More often recognized for their institutional and commercial work, the Weinstein residence represents one of the few surviving documented examples of the firm's residential work. Magaziner's association with William Potter spanned a seven year period, beginning in 1910 and ending in 1917 and included such commissions as the Mt. Sinai Hospital, Central Hebrew School, the Hebrew Free School, and alterations for the Princeton Club. With his new partners, Victor Eberhard and James Russell Harris, Magaziner's career flourished in the 1920s and 1930s with his designs of commercial buildings and theatres including the Midway, the Ogantz and the Uptown. The firm also designed the George V Hotel in Paris. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 12 The Morris Weinstein Residence represents a significant record of the academic interpretation of Colonial architecture in twentieth century design modes. Moreover, the Weinstein Residence stands as a rare example of residential architectural design by the firm of Magazine and Potter, a commission undertaken at the culmination of their professional association. Mr. Myers expressed his skepticism that this building exhibits the 1915 Magazine & Potter facade and requested Mr. Moak to investigate the building's architectural history before the Committee makes a recommendation. The Committee supported him by voting 4-0 to table the nomination pending the receipt of further research. 5446 Wayne Avenue: The William C. Sharpless House The William C. Sharpless House rests its significance primarily on its association with William C. Sharpless and on its architectural merits. Sharpless was a partner in the well-known Philadelphia firm of Sharpless and Watts, agents and importers of tiles. Many of the tile designs located in Philadelphia buildings emanated from this company. For their work, they won a Medal for Progress at the 1876 International Exposition and a Silver Medal and Diploma from the Franklin Institute for their display at the 1885 Novelties Exposition.

agents and importers of tiles. Many of the tile designs located in Philadelphia buildings emanated from this company. For their work, they won a Medal for Progress at the 1876 International Exposition and a Silver Medal and Diploma from the Franklin Institute for their display at the 1885 Novelties Exposition. Sharpless' familiarity with tiles led him to assist in the design of the interior of his house in Germantown. Architectural tiles act as a primary wall finish to many interior spaces rather than paintings or wall paper. The exterior of the building exhibits the Queen Anne Style popular during the 1880s in America and representative of many houses erected in Germantown and Chestnut Hill after the Pennsylvania Railroad opened its Chestnut Hill branch in 1884. The Sharpless House's architect is unknown, however the date of its design (c. 1886) and its general outline suggest that G.W. & W.D. Hewitt may have created it. The Committee again express dissatisfaction with the submitted nomination stating that the statement of significance was too encompassing and failed to clearly address the reasons why the building merited certification. In spite of its shortcomings, the Committee recognised the importance of Sharpless and the merits of his house by voting 4-0 to recommend certification of 5446 Wayne Avenue, the William C. Sharpless House N. 2nd Street at Jefferson Street: St. Michael's Roman Catholic Parish Buildings 1417-1429 N. 2nd Street: School Building, erected 1891, Edwin F. Durang, architect. 1431-1439 N. 2nd Street: St. Michael's Church; erected 1833-1834; rebuilt 1846-1847; altered 1899-1900, Edwin F. Durang, architect 1441-1445 N. 2nd Street: Rectory, erected 1891-1892, Edwin F. Durang, architect 1432-1436 N. 2nd Street: Convent, erected 1922, Peter F. Getz, architect 1504-1508 N. 2nd Street: St. Michael's Literary Institute, erected 1917, Peter F. Getz, architect Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 13 St. Michael's Parish rests its significance on several points. Socially, it served as the center of the Irish Catholic neighborhood of Kensington and the Northern Liberties. Religiously, it celebrates its 150th year of serving this neighborhood in 1984. Historically, it was the focal point of the 1844 anti-Catholic riots which inflamed Philadelphia. Academically, St. Michael's fostered LaSalle Academy which later became LaSalle College. Architecturally, the complex contains several notable examples of work performed by Philadelphia's foremost ecclesiastical architect, Edwin F. Durang. The parish was founded in the early 1830s to serve an ever-increasing number of Irish Catholics residing in

which inflamed Philadelphia. Academically, St. Michael's fostered LaSalle Academy which later became LaSalle College. Architecturally, the complex contains several notable examples of work performed by Philadelphia's foremost ecclesiastical architect, Edwin F. Durang. The parish was founded in the early 1830s to serve an ever-increasing number of Irish Catholics residing in Kensington and working at the various mills and industries of the area. Bishop Kendrick dedicated the first church building on 28 September 1834. The first ten years of the parish passed rather quietly but the rise of the Native American Party caused friction between the various ethnic groups culminating in the destruction of both St. Michael's R.C. Church and St. Augustine's R.C. Church on 6 May 1844. St. Michael's held the service of dedication for their new building on 7 February 1847 and the congregation added the twin towers to the top of the structure in October 1848. In 1899-1900, the church engaged Edwin F. Durang to remodel the facade. His alterations included the extension of the front facade both to the north and south, the change in the parapet between the towers and the raising of the north steeple. The Philadelphia Real Estate and Builder's Guide credits Durang with the design of not only these alterations but also that of the school building and rectory. Durang served as the Archdiocese's primary architect during the late nineteenth century and well into the early twentieth century. A prolific architect, few neighborhoods in the city lack examples of his work. His ecclesiastical commissions included Church of St. Charles Borromeo at 900 S. 20th Street, St. Agatha's Church, 3801 Spring Garden Street, Church of the Gesu, southeast corner of 18th and Thompson Streets, St. Francis Xavier Church, 24th and Green Streets and St. Donato's Church, 401-409 N. 65th Street. His firms other commissions included such diverse buildings as the Trocadero, 1003-1005 Arch Street, Misericordia Hospital in West Philadelphia, and St. Joseph's University on City Line Avenue. Peter F. Getz, the architect of the convent and the Literary Institute building, specialized in ecclesiastical architecture. Born about 1888, he received second prize in the Walter Cope Memorial Prize competition of 1912. His works still exist throughout the entire metropolitan region; these designs, especially the Literary Institute building, rank as his earliest extant work within the city. The Committee, by five separate 4-0 votes, recommended the certification of the five buildings comprising St. Michael's Roman Catholic

Cope Memorial Prize competition of 1912. His works still exist throughout the entire metropolitan region; these designs, especially the Literary Institute building, rank as his earliest extant work within the city. The Committee, by five separate 4-0 votes, recommended the certification of the five buildings comprising St. Michael's Roman Catholic Parish, i.e. 1417-1429 N. 2nd Street, 1431-1439 N. 2nd Street, 1441-1445 N. 2nd Street, 1432-1436 N. 2nd Street and 1504-1508 N. 2nd Street, on the basis of its historical, religious and architectural significance. Committee on Certification 17 May 1983 p. 14 There being no further business, the Committee adjourned at 4:25 P.M. Respectfully submitted, Jefferson M. Moak Executive Secretary to the Chairman

Permits on this parcel