civus
Minutes

Committee on Historic Designation — May 27, 1980

Philadelphia Historical CommissionMay 27, 1980
Open source PDF

Properties mentioned in this record

Addresses spoken or written in this record, resolved to their property pages. Mentions with a timestamp jump to the exact moment.

People mentioned

Names our system found in this transcript. Automatically extracted, so it can include anyone named in the record, not only officials or parties.

  • Arthur N. Brodie
  • Charles Macalester
  • Dr. George Woodward
  • Edward Pinkowski
  • Frank Furness
  • George H. Cancy
  • George H. Hewitt
  • Henry Howard Houston
  • Herbert W. Levy
  • Herman Rubin
  • J. Kinvied Fauconts
  • James B. Mooney
  • James Rice
  • Janet S. Klein
  • Jefferson M. Moak
  • John O. Higgins
  • Kenneth Carroll
  • Patricia Siemiontowski
  • Peter P. Vargas
  • Robert H. Foerderer
  • Robert Rodes McElwain
  • Wichard Wyler
  • William D. Hewitt

Organizations mentioned

PHILADELPHIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION COMMITTEE ON CERTIFICATION MINUTES 27 May 1980 Present: Edward Pinkowski, Chairman of the Committee on Certification and Member, Philadelphia Historical Commission Janet S. Klein, Vice-Chairman, Philadelphia Historical Commission John O. Higgins, Chief, Area Planning Division, City Planning Commission Herbert W. Levy, A.I.A., Chairman, Architectural Committee, Philadelphia Historical Commission James B. Mooney, Director, Historical Society of Pennsylvania Wichard Wyler, Historian Jefferson M. Moak, Historical Research Technician Patricia Siemiontowski, Executive Assistant to the Chairman The fourth meeting of the Committee on Certification met at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, 27 May 1980, in Room 1313, City Hall Annex. OLD CITY NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT In its continuing effort to certify buildings in the Old City National Historic District legally, the staff presented several structures for the Committee's review. Certification of these buildings, added to the list in 1972 as part of a district designation, did not occur as pre- scribed by the Commission's ordinance. As a result, the staff continues to provide buildings entered on the list in 1972 and prepare indivi- dual nominations for the Committee's consideration. 305 Race Street. (Owners: Herman Rubin Realty Company) Erected c. 1840, this five story, three bay, brick, commercial building revisits the nineteenth century commercial character of the Old City District. Although extensively altered on the ground floor, the build- ing fortunately retains the granite piers and exoskeleton characteristic of the Classical Utilitarian period. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 305 Race Street. 307 Race Street. (Owners: Herman Rubin Realty Company) Similar in design and date to 305 Race Street, this building reflects the nineteenth century commercial character of the Old City District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 307 Race Street 309 Race Street. (Owners: Herman Rubin Realty Company) Erected c. 1855-1860, this four story, three bay, brick, commercial structure has undergone extensive alterations on the ground floor to convert it into a garage and loading dock. The majority of the facade, including most of the ground floor piers and exoskeleton, remains and reflects the nineteenth century commercial character of the Old City District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 309 Race Street. 323-325 Race Street. (Owner: City of Philadelphia) Erected c. 1910 as a police station, this three-story, three bay, brick building is a good example of early twentieth century architecture. The ground floor contains rounded-arch openings in all bays. The remainder of the facade is highlighted by the

309 Race Street. 323-325 Race Street. (Owner: City of Philadelphia) Erected c. 1910 as a police station, this three-story, three bay, brick building is a good example of early twentieth century architecture. The ground floor contains rounded-arch openings in all bays. The remainder of the facade is highlighted by the relief panels between the first and second stories, the stone lintels on the second floor with projecting keystone, and the very heavy cornice immediately above the third floor openings. Although this building fails to quality as part of the nineteenth century commercial Old City District, the Committee felt that the building contained enough architectural significance to merit its revitalization. Upon request from the staff that the Committee consider the adjoining firehouse (not appearing on the list of certified buildings), the Committee voted to table 323-325 Race Street until the next meeting and directed the staff to prepare a nomination for 319-321 Race Street. 327 Race Street (Owner: Philadelphia Consolidated Hie Company, Incorporated) This 3½ story, two-bay brick building, erected c. 1830-1835, was originally constructed as a residence and altered to commercial use. The ground floor contains a two of the century shop front with a right bay entrance and multi-light windows in the left and center bays. This building reflects the nineteenth century commercial character of the Old City District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 327 Race Street. 331-233 Race Street. (Owner: Miekel Realty Corporation) Erected between 1866, and 1875 as a mate to 335-337 Race Street, this building contains cast iron plans and bracketed cornices on its ground floor and is capped by a mild cornice. In its design, use and date, this building clearly reflects the nineteenth century character of the Old City District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 331-233 Race Street. 335-337 Race Street a.k.a. 201-203 North 4th Street. (Owner: Miekel Realty Corporation) This five story, four bay by eight bay brick commercial building was erected on 1850-1855 with east iron ground floor plans and bracketed cornices. The Race Street side contains 5 piers bracketing four openings; the 4th Street elevation 16 piers with alternating openings and stone infill. The building has retained much of its original character and constitutes an essential element of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 335-337 Race Street (a.k.a. 201-203 North 4th Street). 160-164 North 3rd Street a.k.a. 200-202 Race Street.

with alternating openings and stone infill. The building has retained much of its original character and constitutes an essential element of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 335-337 Race Street (a.k.a. 201-203 North 4th Street). 160-164 North 3rd Street a.k.a. 200-202 Race Street. (Owner: North Bridge Partnership) Erected 1844, this classical Utilitarian building measures four stories in height, and nine bays by seven bays in length. The ground floor contains the characteristic granite piers and entablature and has a newer entrance similar to 201 North 3rd Street. It clearly reflects the nineteenth century character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 160-164 North 3rd Street (a.k.a. 200-202 Race Street). 312-314 Race Street. (Owners Dinardo's Famous Crabs) This four story, four bay, brick, commercial structure dates to c. 1840 and spent the early part of its existence as a hotel. A possibility exists that parts of the building may date to the late part of the 18th Century and alterations in the mid-nineteenth century created the present appearance. The ground floor has suffered several alterations including one sanctioned by the PHC in 1977. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 312-314 Race Street DRUIM MOIR NATIONAL HISTORICAL DISTRICT The Druim Moir National Historical District comprises the estate of Henry Howard Houston, a major developer of the Chestnut Hill and Andorra areas of the city. Together with his son-in-law, Dr. George Woodward, Houston developed Chestnut Hill into a suburban neighborhood of solidly built dwellings and ample lots. The Houston-Woodward estate still owns over 200 houses in Chestnut Hill and plays an important role in maintaining the area's social and economic stability. Of the original 55 acres of Druim Moir proper, some 47.5 acres still remain although it is owned by several hands. The surviving buildings of the original estate have been nominated by the new owners of Druim Moir and Brinkvvood. The Druim Moir National Historical District was added to the National Register on 11 December 1979. Druim Moir. (Owners James Rice) A two-story curved rock-faced Wissahickon schist dwelling with a hipped roof and cross-gables, dated 1886. The architects for the structure were George H. and William D. Hewitt. Its irregular plan is essentially a central living core, measuring approximately 32 x 79 feet with four wings: a Northeast portico-socheres and entry, a one-story Southeast living room extension,

dwelling with a hipped roof and cross-gables, dated 1886. The architects for the structure were George H. and William D. Hewitt. Its irregular plan is essentially a central living core, measuring approximately 32 x 79 feet with four wings: a Northeast portico-socheres and entry, a one-story Southeast living room extension, a South two-story tower and a two-story Northwest servants' wing. The building has undergone numerous alterations: in 1912, Bryn Mawr Architects remodeled the Southeast bay, in 1922-1, Robert Rodes McElwain designed the sunken gardens, in 1942, McElwain removed the upper elements of the house and in 1953, J. Kinvied Fauconts' replaced the second floor of the servants' wing and enclosed the stairs. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of Druim Moir Brinkvvood. (Owners James Rice) Brinkvvood, constructed in 1887 from the designs of the Hewetts, is an excellent example of the Shingle Style. It is a two and a half story dwelling house with a random-coursed rock-faced Wissahickon schist basement and ground story and frame upper stories faced with stained shredded bark cedar shingles. Its irregular plan is composed of a central core measuring approximately 32 x 65 feet with a sloped Northwest portico-socheres, a North corner tower, two projecting pavilions, a Dutch porch, and a bent servants' wing. Because of its irregular plan, the house's roofs are a comport of hipped and gable roofs with dentil cornices. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of Brinkvvood. Caretaker's House. (Owners Springside School) Miss Brinkvvood, the Caretaker's House was built in 1887 in the Shingle Style, probably from the designs of the Hewetts. Essentially rectangular in plan, measuring approximately 45 x 35 feet, its picturesqueness is derived from its materials, architectural elements, and number of stories. One, two and three-stories high, the house's surfaces are highly textured. Above the random-coursed Miscellaneous cobalt ground story rise the wood frame upper stories covered with wood fish-scale shingles. The house's elevation is organized into three parts: the three-story steep gable-roof Southeast end, the two-story, gable-roof center section with its two-tier hipped roof veranda, and the one-story Northwest end with the veranda above it. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Caretaker's House. The Gate House, 7940 Churchs Street. (Owners: Peter P. Vargas) The Gate House is a two-and-a-half story roofed-faced Wissahickon schist house with stucco on its second story and gables. It measures approximately 43.5 x 25.5 feet with a semi-circular box on the

unanimously recommended the certification of the Caretaker's House. The Gate House, 7940 Churchs Street. (Owners: Peter P. Vargas) The Gate House is a two-and-a-half story roofed-faced Wissahickon schist house with stucco on its second story and gables. It measures approximately 43.5 x 25.5 feet with a semi-circular box on the east, its Southwest side. The main section of the house has an asphalt-shingle gable roof and the box has a conical roof connected to the main part of the house by a gable roof. This structure was constructed probably between 1895 and 1903 and has suffered only one major alteration which did not change the overall appearance of the house. This occured in 1919 with Arthur N. Brodie as the architect. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Gate House, Two Churches Street. The Heating House. (The present Carriage House, Owners: James Rice) The Heating House is a two-story Wissahickon schist building with a stuccoed rear (Southwest side) and a brick-and-stucco Southeast side, both of which were initially attached to greenhouses. The building measures 23 feet 4 inches by 20.5 feet and has an encircling slate gable roof. The front, or Northeast facade, reflects the building's function since 1907, when the Heating House was altered to a ground story garage with a second-story apartment. During Odin and Ziegler were responsible for this alteration. The Committee tabled this nomination and directed the staff to contact the owner for more information concerning the incorporation of the Heating House into the proposed development of the estate. The Carriage House. (Owner's: Springside School) The Carriage House is a two-story wood frame building on a Wissahickon schist foundation with "German sidings" clapboards on the ground floor and fish-scale wood shingles on the second floor. Its rectangular plan measures approximately 35 x 19 feet. The gable roof with a front cross-gable is made of asphalt roofing and has a cone-shaped galvanized metal ventilator on the ridge at the intersection of the gable and cross-gable roofs. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Carriage House. GLEN FOERD AT TORRESDALE Glen Foerd, 5001 Grant Avenue. (Owners: Lutheran Church in America) Erected ca. 1850, this structure consists of three stories with stuccoed exterior walls, 12 foot wide one story porch, a porte-cochere on the main entrance, balconets and a cupola. The porch and porte-cochere are supported by Corinthian columns with balustrades above. It was constructed for Charles

Lutheran Church in America) Erected ca. 1850, this structure consists of three stories with stuccoed exterior walls, 12 foot wide one story porch, a porte-cochere on the main entrance, balconets and a cupola. The porch and porte-cochere are supported by Corinthian columns with balustrades above. It was constructed for Charles Macalester the named it "Glengarry". In 1902, Robert H. Foerderer had extensive renovations made to the interior and exterior of the building including additions which lengthened it from 58 feet to 100 feet. Additional alterations were made in 1928 and 1967. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of Glen Foerd, 5001 Grant Avenue. FRANK FURNESS-DESIGNED BUILDINGS In accordance with the direction given to the Committee on Certification by the Commission on 7 December 1978 that the Committee "review all the known buildings designed by Frank Furness and to make recommendations for the certification of those deemed to be of historical and/or architectural interest", the staff prepared nominations for several buildings for the Committee's review. Of the four buildings presented, the first three were submitted for certification, having been present on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places with no mention in any Guidation mixture upon their certification. 235-South 21st Street, The Thomas Hockley House. (Owner: Kenneth Carroll) The Thomas Hockley House is a two-and-a-half story mansard-roofed brick house on a raised brownstone basement, approximately 23 x 78 feet. It has bands of black brick at the first and second stories and a band of carved bricks at the sill level of the second story. On the Southwest corner, a corner porch has equal marble columns and a carved brownstone floral motif. A continuous rectangular bay with massive brackets and a pyramidal roof appears at the Northwest corner. It was constructed in 1875. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 235 South 21st Street, the Thomas Hockley House. 3400 34th Street and Girard Avenue, Philadelphia Zoo-Entrance Pavilions (Owners: Fairmount Park) The two entrance pavilions of the Philadelphia Zoo are two-story buildings constructed of granite rubble and brick with brick trim. Both structures have steep hipped roofs with cross-gables and a projecting cornice. Alterations have been done to the buildings over the years including removal of the original ticket booths and gates. These pavilions were constructed ca. 1875-1876 and constitute the only remaining Furness contribution to the Philadelphia Zoo. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Philadelphia Zoo Entrance Pavilions, 3400 Street

Alterations have been done to the buildings over the years including removal of the original ticket booths and gates. These pavilions were constructed ca. 1875-1876 and constitute the only remaining Furness contribution to the Philadelphia Zoo. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Philadelphia Zoo Entrance Pavilions, 3400 Street and Girard Avenue. 2121 Chestnut Street, The First Unitarian Church. (Owners: First Unitarian Church) Designed in 1883 and dedicated early in 1885, this crag-roofed building is gable-roofed fronted by a porch on Chestnut Street decorated by twin columns. The main entrance elements of the gable end are the rose window and the oculus above. The plan is cruciform with short transepts bisecting the broad nave. Alterations to the building are responsible for the loss of a corner gusele, the polishing of the roof-faced statement of the exterior and the closing of the ridge opening. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 2121 Chestnut Street, the First Unitarian Church. 1804 Rittenhouse Square. (Omaha Colas, Partnership) This is a three-bay, four-story building faced with coursed ashlar. There are round-arch lintels on the first floor, a three-bay on the second with a porch above serving the third floor. A large arch surmounts the third story openings. Above the arch is the fourth story containing three openings which are bracketed by four pilars and topped by an entablature. Hunting-like sculpture decorates the entablature over each opening. A molded cornice tops the entire building.*** The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 1804 Rittenhouse Square.*** **ATHLETICS building was constructed in 1891-1892 under the direct supervision of George H. Cancy, one of the several architects employed by Furness, Evans & Company. Before adjourning, the Committee on Certification agreed to schedule its next meeting for Monday, 14 July 1980, Bastille Day, at 2:30 p.m. in the Historical Commission office. As usual, a packet containing information on each of the nominations to be considered will be sent to all Committee members. There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m. Respectfully submitted, Jeffrance H. Hoak Historical Research Technician

Permits on this parcel