civus
Minutes

HVC — Nov 21, 1960

Philadelphia Historical CommissionNov 21, 1960
Open source PDF

Properties mentioned in this record

Addresses spoken or written in this record, resolved to their property pages. Mentions with a timestamp jump to the exact moment.

Decisions in this meeting

People mentioned

Names our system found in this transcript. Automatically extracted, so it can include anyone named in the record, not only officials or parties.

  • Dr. Kurjack
  • Dr. Nichols
  • Dr. Tinkcom
  • Edward Kirkbride
  • Miss Penelope Hartshorne
  • Miss Rudolph
  • Mr. Fuller
  • Mr. Iwanicki
  • Mrs. Dilworth
  • Mrs. Kirkbride
  • R. N. Williams

Properties mentioned

  • 219 & 221 Arch Street
  • 404 S. Front Street
  • Frankford Arsenal, Frankford
  • Friends Meetinghouse, Frankford
  • I. O. O. F. Hall, Northern Liberties
  • N.W. corner Front & Cuthbert Street
  • N.W. corner Front & Elfreth's Alley
  • Orthodox Friends Meetinghouse, Frankford
  • Pennypack Baptist Church, Frankford
  • S.W. corner of 4th and Arch Streets
  • St. Johns, Northern Liberties
  • St. Paulus Kirche, Northern Liberties
  • Whitaker mills, Frankford

Organizations mentioned

THE HISTORIC VALUES COMMITTEE MEETING November 21, 1960 The Historic Values Committee of the Philadelphia Historical Commission met at 2:30 p.m. in the office of Mr. R. N. Williams, 1300 Locust Street. Present were: Dr. Nichols, Chairman Mr. Williams Mrs. Dilworth Dr. Tinkcom Dr. Nichols presented a drawing by Miss Penelope Hartshorne, showing a reconstruction of the Provost Smith house at the S.W. corner of 4th and Arch Streets, and reported that, as a result of a study of the original records and of the fabric of the present structure, both Miss Hartshorne and by Mr. Edward Kirkbride are of the opinion that nothing of the original building remains except a small portion of the exterior walls at the second-floor level. In view of this, the Committee decided not to recommend the building for certification. The following contracts for the members of the research staff were considered and recommended to the Commission as a whole for approval: Dr. Tinkcom, historian, @ $4.50 per hour, $4,050.00 Mrs. Kirkbride, historical assistant, @ $3.00 per hour, $3,450.00 Miss Rudolph, historical assistant, an honorarian of $750.00 to be paid in quarterly installments of $187.50 each Mr. Fuller, historical assistant, @ $2.50 per hour, $1,250.00 Mr. Iwanicki, at the rate of $1.25 per hour, $1,000.00 The total amount to be encumbered at this time for research is $10,500.00, leaving a balance of $2,966.00 in the professional services account. (Postage, telephone and transportation are charged to this fund but these charges will presumably not exceed $250.00) The possibility of examining the Girard Papers to gather all the pertinent information relating to certified properties which Girard once owned was discussed again. It was reported that the National Park Service had obtained permission to see the papers and had found them of great value but that the Park Service had been asked to pay the wages of the librarians while members of their staff were working on the Girard Papers. Dr. Tinkcom was asked to find out from Dr. Kurjack the daily charge for a librarian's services; and the name of the present president of the college. Mrs. Dilworth will ask the Mayor to help the Commission to gain access to these papers. -2- November 21, 1960 The following buildings were recommended to the attention of the Commission for certification: North of Market: N.W. cor. Front & Cuthbert St. N.W. cor. Front & Elfreth's Alley 219 & 221

Dilworth will ask the Mayor to help the Commission to gain access to these papers. -2- November 21, 1960 The following buildings were recommended to the attention of the Commission for certification: North of Market: N.W. cor. Front & Cuthbert St. N.W. cor. Front & Elfreth's Alley 219 & 221 Arch Street; Northern Liberties: St. Paulus Kirche (1840) St. Johns (1818) I. O. O. F. Hall (by J. Haviland); Frankford: the Pennypack Baptist Church (1805) the Friends Meetinghouse (1775 & 1811) the Orthodox Friends Meetinghouse (1833 & 1868) the Frankford Arsenal - six original buildings (before 1820) Whitaker mills - the mill proper and the workmen's houses. The Stocker house at 404 S. Front St. was considered for certification but the Committee postponed a decision on this building pending more definite information on the location of the Delaware Expressway. [HANDWRITTEN NOTES: There are handwritten notations in the left margin near the Frankford section. Two brief marks or annotations appear to be present but are not clearly legible in this image.]

Permits on this parcel