civus
Minutes

Committee on Historic Designation — Oct 6, 1980

Philadelphia Historical CommissionOct 6, 1980
Open source PDF

Decisions in this meeting

People mentioned

Names our system found in this transcript. Automatically extracted, so it can include anyone named in the record, not only officials or parties.

  • A.S. Lippincott
  • Alexander Mackay-Smith
  • Amos H. Company
  • Augustus
  • Charles E. Mercer
  • Duhring
  • Edward Pinkowski
  • Edward Stein
  • Frank Miles Day
  • Fraser
  • Furness
  • G. W. W. D. Hewitt
  • H.D. Eadie
  • Hahn
  • Hazlewood
  • Hewitt
  • Huckel
  • Hyman Myers
  • James E. Mooney
  • James H. Windey
  • Janet S. Klein
  • Jefferson L. Moak
  • Jefferson M. Weak
  • John O. Higgins
  • Joseph O. Jardel
  • Kennedy
  • Loe
  • Louis Zeller
  • M. L. Korsmann
  • Middell
  • Okie
  • Peter Williams
  • Richard Tyler
  • Sener
  • Theophilus Parsons Chandler
  • Violet Oakley
  • William M. Rotton
  • William Rothears
  • Wilson Brothers
  • Ziegler

Properties mentioned

  • 1115-1121 Market Street (Reading Terminal)
  • 1221-1223 Locust Street (Princeton Club)
  • 1222-1226 Arch Street (A. J. Holman & Company Building)
  • 1420-1422 Chestnut Street (American Baptist Publication Society Building / Octave Building)
  • 2012 Masked Street (Union Methodist Episcopal Church)
  • 2030 Christian Street (Church of the Holy Apostles complex)
  • 216-18 S. 3rd Street (Manufacturers National Bank Building)
  • 231 S. 22nd Street (Bishop Hollow-7th House)
  • 313 Chestnut Street
  • 315 Chestnut Street (First National Bank Building)
  • 33 N. 3rd Street
  • 41 N. 3rd Street
  • 43 N. 3rd Street
  • 45 N. 3rd Street
  • 47 N. 3rd Street
  • 51 N. 3rd Street
  • 53 N. 3rd Street
  • 55 W. 3rd Street
  • 57 N. 3rd Street
  • 61-63 N. 3rd Street (Johnson-Ely Store)
  • 6211-6222 Flagellation Avenue (Alfred Greene Public School)
  • 627 So. Georges' Road (Violet Oakley Studio)
  • Civic Center Boulevard and 34th Street (Museum of the Philadelphia Civic Center)

Organizations mentioned

  • A. J. Holman & Company
  • A.S. Lippincott & Company
  • American Baptist Publication Society
  • Christian School Association of Germantown
  • Church of the Holy Apostles
  • Church of the Holy Redeemer
  • Church of the Mediator
  • City Planning Commission
  • Committee on Certification
  • Diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church of Pennsylvania
  • Duhring, Okie & Ziegler
  • Frank Miles Day & Brother
  • Fraser, Furness & Hewitt
  • Furness & Hewitt
  • Hazlewood & Huckel
  • Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)
  • Historical Society of Pennsylvania
  • Loe & H.D. Eadie
  • M. L. Korsmann & Sons
  • Manufacturers National Bank
  • Market Street East Corporation
  • Old City National Historical District
  • Philadelphia Association of Christian Schools
  • Philadelphia Historical Commission
  • Princeton Club
  • Reading Company
  • Real Estate Development Corporation
  • School District of Philadelphia
  • Sener & Hahn
  • William Rothears & Company
  • Williams & Kennedy
  • Wilson Brothers & Company

PHILADELPHIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION COMMITTEE ON CERTIFICATION MINUTES 6 October 1980 Present: Edward Pinkowski, Chairman of the Committee on Certification and Member, Philadelphia Historical Commission Janet S. Klein, Vice-Chairman, Philadelphia Historical Commission John O. Higgins, Chief, Area Planning Division, City Planning Commission James E. Mooney, Director, Historical Society of Pennsylvania Richard Tyler, Historian Jefferson L. Moak, Research Historian Although he did not attend the 6 October meeting, Mr. Hyman Myers reported to Mr. Moak his votes and comments on each nomination. The ninth meeting of the Committee on Certification met at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, 6 October 1980, in Room 1313 City Hall Annex. OLD BUSINESS 1115-1121 Market Street — Reading Terminal On 20 June 1980, the Commission received a reply to its letter to the Reading Company dated 28 May 1980 informing them that the Terminal had been considered for certification. The Reading Company refused the designation stating that "the reject benefits conferred by the Philadelphia Historical Commission's certification are not justified by the accompanying restrictions and limitations on use and rehabilitation of the engineer." To Commission, at its October meeting, referred the letter to the Committee on Certification which voted unanimously to authorize the historian to begin negotiations with Market Street East Corporation and others enlisting their support in persuading the Reading Company to accept certification of the Terminal. 313 Chestnut Street At the 12 July meeting of the Committee on Certification, the members voted unanimously to decertify this 1923 structure erected in the Old City National Historical District. When the matter came to the Commission in August, the Architectural Advisor pointed out that this building eventually stood out as a separate building lot as an addition to 315 Chestnut Street, the First National Bank Building. Alterations to the latter building resulted in 313 Chestnut serving as the entrance to both buildings. The Committee voted 4 - 1, with Mr. Myers opposed, to reverse his previous vote and rescind ratifi- cation of this old city structure as a means of preserving the First National Bank. COMMITTEE ON CONSERVATION 2 6 October 1980 NEW BUSINESS 1222-1226 Arch Street — A. J. Holman & Company Building R. J. Holman & Company, founded in 1872, erected the heritage bank to the publishing firm of Solomon Stetson in 1881. Founded exclusively for Bible publishing, the company was an award at the Centennial Exhibition. In 1881, increasing business loads dictated a larger facility and,

J. Holman & Company Building R. J. Holman & Company, founded in 1872, erected the heritage bank to the publishing firm of Solomon Stetson in 1881. Founded exclusively for Bible publishing, the company was an award at the Centennial Exhibition. In 1881, increasing business loads dictated a larger facility and, to this end, the firm hired Wilson Brothers & Company to design the five story brick building presently occupying the lot at 1222-1226 Arch Street. Although the building has passed through several uses, it stands basically unaltered except for the store fronts within the original ground floor framework. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 1222-1226 Arch Street — the A. J. Holman & Company Building. 1420-1422 Chestnut Street — American Baptist Publication Society Building (Octave Building) Designed by Frank Miles Day & Brother and constructed in 1894-1897, a five-story Tuscan Building stands as one of the oldest examples examples of Day's center-city work. It illustrated the development of the tall building in Philadelphia. It is the facade, particularly the top, which attracts attention, setting in motion the Greek Philadelphia skyscraper design that relied on rich historical embellishment at the base and top which prevailed for the ensuing thirty years. The original base space was replaced by a simple metal storefront more in keeping with post-World War II tastes but the principal elements of the Florence Street facade remain intact. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 1420-1422 Chestnut Street — the American Baptist Publication Society Building. 2030-2030 Christian Street — Church of the Holy Apostles (Parish Building; Sunday School Building; Phillips Brooks Memorial Child House; George O. Treme Street & Richard Norton Memorial Sunday School Building. The Church of the Holy Apostles began in 1867 with a meeting between church leaders of the Church of the Holy Redeemer and the Church of the Mediator to discuss the possibility of leasing a parish in what then represented the southeasterly part of the city. For new ready commissioned Fraser, Furness & Hewitt to design the structure. The church building, as altered later by the tower designed by G. W. W. D. Hewitt, represents the only image surviving work of the firm of Fraser, Furness & Hewitt. The Parish of the Holy Apostles remains a strong force in the Episcopal community and was coupled an edifice at 21st & Spruce Streets. While located at 21st & Christian Streets, their complex grew to

Hewitt, represents the only image surviving work of the firm of Fraser, Furness & Hewitt. The Parish of the Holy Apostles remains a strong force in the Episcopal community and was coupled an edifice at 21st & Spruce Streets. While located at 21st & Christian Streets, their complex grew to include the original Sunday School Building (Furness & Hewitt; 1871-1872), the Phillips Brooks Memorial Child House (possibly G. W. & W. D. Hewitt; 1893) and the Richard Norton Memorial Sunday School Building (Duhring, Okie & Ziegler; 1908-1909). The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 2030-2030 Christian Street — the Church of the Holy Apostles complex which includes the church building, the Sunday School Building, the Phillips Brooks Memorial Child House and the Richard Norton Memorial Sunday School Building. Stile framed Palisaded a Stair Street — Museum of the Philadelphia Civic Center. Stile specifically as a permanent loan for the Commercial Museum at Philadelphia, the 1879 structure designed by Loe & H.D. Eadie, originally served as the north pavilion of the Intended Exposition of 1876, considered by many to be the major impetus for Foreign trade in the United States. Many attractions have befallen it, including exterior work on its north wall and roof elevations designed by William Rothears & Company and interior work by Edward Stein and Hathaway & Attic. Although the latter alterations in 1925 drastically damaged the original Palisade spaces throughout, the main role emerging until of the 1879 Exposition in its basic design. The Committee unanimously recommended certification of the Museum of the Philadelphia Civic Center located at Civic Center Boulevard and 34th Street. 2012 Masked Street — Elias Patchel Episcopal Church. Union Methodist Church records the northward move of 19th Century Philadelphia. It served as the base of a Methodist parish, formally chartered near 12th and Vine Streets, in the midst of the vast residential sections of the city. Hazlewood & Huckel designed the building in 1858-1859 which form part of the Victorian streetscape along Masked Street which also boasts an architectural treasure of the issues designed by Augustus in the 1600 Block and the Growth of the Advocate at 12th Avenure. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 2012 Masked Street — Union Methodist Episcopal Church. 1221-1223 Locust Street — Princeton Club. Performed, Amos H. Company designed 1221-1223 Locust Street in 1891 as part of a unique streetscape developed by the Real Estate Development Corporation.

of the Advocate at 12th Avenure. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 2012 Masked Street — Union Methodist Episcopal Church. 1221-1223 Locust Street — Princeton Club. Performed, Amos H. Company designed 1221-1223 Locust Street in 1891 as part of a unique streetscape developed by the Real Estate Development Corporation. This organization replaced the earlier 19th century buildings and frame structures with "an eye to better improvement of that locality," these structures on the block were designed by Furnace, the Leib, Johnson and other architects of the firm work in Philadelphia, Johnson designed the building at 1223 Locust Street. Although many of the office suites along the 1200 and 1300 blocks of Locust Street are gone, 1221-1223 door reflects the idea purposed by the development group. The Princeton Club required 1223 in 1915 and 1221 in 1919 and commissioned William M. Rotton to consider the proprieties and unite the suitable interior changes. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 1221-1223 Locust Street — the Princeton Club. 627 So. Georges' Road — Violet Oakley Studio. The Violet Oakley Studio, built c. 1911 and remodeled extensively by Frank Miles Day and Charles E. Mercer in 1912, served as the location from which Violet Oakley did some of her most notable work including a fresco in the Congress's Reception Room in the Pennsylvania State Capitol and the guiding "The Constitutional Cornerstone". It presently served as a memorial to Violet Oakley. A was placed on the National Register on 13 September 1977. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 627 So. Georges' Road — the Violet Oakley Studio. PHILADELPHIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 6 October 1980 6211-6222 Flaqualton Avenue - Alfred Greene Public School This one-story stone schoolhouse remains one of the few surviving examples of Philadelphia's utilitarian school buildings in existence. Built in 1873 from the designs of James H. Windey as modified by Louis Zeller, this building served the residents surrounding the old Rittenhouse hill area on the Manors estate. The School District of Philadelphia utilized the building until 1926 when they sold it to the Christian School Association of Germantown, now the Philadelphia Association of Christian Schools. Under whose auspices the building remains in use as a school. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 6211-6222 Flagellation Avenue - Alfred Greene Public School. 231 S. 22nd Street - Bishop Hollow-7th Avenue Granted on 1903-1904, from the designs of Theophilus Parsons Chandler, this 3-storey

Association of Christian Schools. Under whose auspices the building remains in use as a school. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 6211-6222 Flagellation Avenue - Alfred Greene Public School. 231 S. 22nd Street - Bishop Hollow-7th Avenue Granted on 1903-1904, from the designs of Theophilus Parsons Chandler, this 3-storey brick dwelling served as the home of the Right Reverend Alexander Mackay-Smith, Bishop co-adjutor of the Diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church of Pennsylvania. It stands as an integral part of the Rittenhouse neighborhood. It remains as one of Chandler's few townhouses. Initials on the Rittenhouse Register recorded in the early part of 1980. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 231 S. 22nd Street - the Bishop Hollow-7th House. Mr. Myers suggested that the firm he submitted to tone down any of the expenditures used by the entrance. OLD CITY HISTORICAL DISTRICT In its continuing effort to certify buildings in the Old City National Historical District legally, the staff prepared several structures for the Committee's review. These buildings, added to the list in 1978 as part of a district certification, were not certified as pre-started by the Commission's ordinance. As a result, the staff continues to review these buildings ordered on the list in 1972 and prepare individual nominations for the Committee's consideration. 216-18 S. 3rd Street Erected for the use of the Manufacturers National Bank, this Renaissance Revival structure with a stone facade sits on a partially raised basement. Slight alteration to the facade has occurred with the inscription of the name. The name of the firm was engraved into the wall bench in centuries. The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) recorded this building in 1973. The Committee unanimously recommended the initiation of 216-29 N. 3rd Street. 33 N. 3rd Street Erected in 1830, this five-story, three-bay structure originally contained a basement from which it has been carved with a brick below, in 1830. In 1850, the building, then numbered 23 N. 3rd Street, served as the home of Peter Williams & Kennedy, wares manufacturers and carpentry. The basic building remained virtually unaltered after the fire-year structure over all ground floor bays. HABS record was created in 1973. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend certification of 33 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. [HANDWRITTEN NOTES: None.] 41 N. 22d Street Erected 1892, this Romanesque four-story, three-bay commercial building clearly expresses the character of the old style.

all ground floor bays. HABS record was created in 1973. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend certification of 33 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. [HANDWRITTEN NOTES: None.] 41 N. 22d Street Erected 1892, this Romanesque four-story, three-bay commercial building clearly expresses the character of the old style. It boasts a full cast-iron front with decorative panels above the 2nd, 3rd & 4th floors and carved tables above the 2nd and 4th lintels. The round lions crowning have been extensively restored but the cast-iron piece & corbulature remain. An HABS record exists for this building. The Committee voted A = 0 to recommend ratification of 41 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Hynes abstained. 43 N. 3rd Street Erected c. 1870, this four-story, three-bay brick structure combines features of both Renaissance and Neo-Gothic styles supporting a brick corbulature on the ground and 2nd floor. Alterations to the ground floor have not changed the overall integrity of the structure. The original lintels have warped. Earlier uses of the building include a grocery store and a paper and paper bag retail outlet. An HABS record exists for 43 N. 3rd Street. The Committee voted A = 0 to recommend ratification of 43 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Hynes abstained. 45 N. 3rd Street Erected c. 1852, rustie piers and corbulature appear on the first story of this four-story, three-bay, brick building. The elliptical windows, highlighting the 3rd story, support corbulature. A decorated bracketed cornice appears on top. Early uses of the building include a china store (1854), boot store (1865), and a carpet and oil cloth store in 1871. It has been recorded by HABS and stands as a good example of lytic-factory commercial vernacular architecture. The Committee voted A = 0 to recommend ratification of 45 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Hynes abstained. 47 N. 3rd Street Connected with 45 N. 3rd Street, this imposing five-story, three-bay, brick with full cast-iron front, commercial building was erected c. 1852, probably from the design of Joseph O. Jardel, exhibiting a fine characterization of cast-iron architecture, 47 N. 3rd Street has been recorded by HABS and constitutes a significant example of cast-iron architecture in Philadelphia. The Committee voted A = 0 to recommend ratification of 47 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Hynes abstained. 51 N. 3rd Street Erected c. 1850, this five-story, four-bay building contains granite columns on the ground and 2nd floors and clustered piers on

constitutes a significant example of cast-iron architecture in Philadelphia. The Committee voted A = 0 to recommend ratification of 47 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Hynes abstained. 51 N. 3rd Street Erected c. 1850, this five-story, four-bay building contains granite columns on the ground and 2nd floors and clustered piers on the second level, Pilaster Street (here an alleyway) runs through the left bay of the ground floor. This building comprises part of the North 3rd Street streetscape and as such has been recorded by HABS. The Committee voted A = 0 to recommend ratification of 51 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Hynes abstained. COMMITTEE ON CERTIFICATION 6 6 October 1980 53 N. 3rd Street Erected c. 1829, this five-story, three-bay building, originally sited at 51 N. 3rd Street, underwent alterations by Sener & Hahn shaft 1914. The ground floor alterations include a pediment and removal of the original stone frame. Alterations on the second floor include obliteration of the area puzzles in the early 20th century. Although altered, HABS records exist on this building on account of its significance to the entire streetscape. Early uses of the building included hardware store in 1879 and A.S. Lippincott & Company, auctioneers, in 1907. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend ratification of 53 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. 55 W. 3rd Street Erected in the late 1820s, this five-story, three-bay commercial building is one of the oldest buildings on the block. It served as a dry retail outlet for M. L. Korsmann & Sons, manufacturers and importers of millinery goods and regalia, for over 55 years. The building underwent alterations similar to 53 N. 3rd Street by Sener & Hahn in 1913-1914. The cash on the upper floors was also altered from 2/2 double-hung to multi-light over one double-hung. HABS has recorded this building. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend ratification of 55 W. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. 57 N. 3rd Street Erected c. 1855, this five-story, three-bay brick building contains a Gothic basement frame, keeping in character with the Old City District. The ground floor has been altered with a modern shopfront, otherwise the building stands as originally constructed. A fire escape adorns the facade. Architecturally significant, HABS records exist for this building. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend ratification of 57 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. 61-63 N. 3rd Street Erected by Middell

altered with a modern shopfront, otherwise the building stands as originally constructed. A fire escape adorns the facade. Architecturally significant, HABS records exist for this building. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend ratification of 57 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. 61-63 N. 3rd Street Erected by Middell in 1852 as the Johnson-Ely Store, this five- story, mid-bay building has undergone alterations to the openings but the cast-iron facade on the Third Street elevation remains intact. The decorative lintels on the Arch Street elevation also remain. A good 19th-century commercial corner building and representative of the Old City National Historical District, HABS records exist for 61-63 N. 3rd Street. The Committee voted 4 - 0 to recommend ratification of 61-63 N. 3rd Street. Mr. Myers abstained. Before adjourning the Committee on Certification agreed to schedule its next meeting for Monday, 19 January 1981 at 2:30 p.m. in the Historical Commission offices. There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m. Respectfully submitted, Jefferson M. Weak Research Historian

Permits on this parcel