PHILADELPHIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION COMMITTEE ON CERTIFICATION MINUTES 14 JULY 1980 Present: Edward Pinkowski, Chairman of the Committee on Certification and Member, Philadelphia Historical Commission Janet Klein, Vice-Chairman of the Philadelphia Historical Commission John O. Higgins, Chief, Area Planning Division, City Planning Commission James E. Mooney, Director, Historical Society of Pennsylvania Hyman Myers, A.I.A. Richard Tyler, Historian Jefferson M. Moak, Historical Research Technician Patricia A. Siemiontkowski, Executive Assistant to the Chairman Also: Bud Ross, Bud Ross & Associates, architect of renovations to 729 S. 2nd Street to request certification of this building. James Kise, Drum Moir Corporatica, to present plans for the rehabilitation of the Drum Moir Resting House as requested by the Committee on Certification. The fifth meeting of the Committee on Certification met at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, 14 July 1980, in Room 1313, City Hall Annex. NEW SUBMISSIONS FOR CERTIFICATION 8000 St. Martins Lane, a.k.a. 401 W. Willow Grove Avenue, St. Martin in the Fields Episcopal Church. (Owners Church of St. Martin in the Fields). Erected 1882-1883 from the designs of George W. & William D. Iswitz, this one-story, stone church is built along a cruciform plan. The openings along the side made the building appear two stories in height. At the ends of the transept are located large rose windows. A five-sided baptistry, designed by Theophilus P. Chandler in 1899, is attached to the southeast end of the transept. Two semi-rooms appear on the northeast side. In 1902, a gable roofed sanctuary was added to the northeast (or St. Martins Lane) side of the church, also of a design by Chandler. The dominant feature of this church is the bell tower, part of the original design, standing approximately four stories high on the southeast side of the building. The church forms part of Henry R. Benston's development for this portion of Chestnut Hill and is contemporary with the Wissahickon Inn and Drum Moir. The Committee unanimously recommended certification of the Church of St. Martin in the Fields, 8000 St. Martins Lane, a.k.a. 401 W. Willow Grove Avenue. 107 West School House Lane, the James Matthews House. (Owners Elizabeth Shollenberger). This unusually fine house is a typical 2½ story building with a full cellar characteristic of Germantown's Federal architecture. Constructed ca. 1800 by Jacob Groat, it was sold first to James Matthews in 1807 and when to the Germantown Academy in 1810 for use as housing for their
Elizabeth Shollenberger). This unusually fine house is a typical 2½ story building with a full cellar characteristic of Germantown's Federal architecture. Constructed ca. 1800 by Jacob Groat, it was sold first to James Matthews in 1807 and when to the Germantown Academy in 1810 for use as housing for their students. The exterior walls are of stone covered with stucco. The house measures 35 feet wide and 31 feet deep with a kitchen wing 22 x 16. The Committee unanimously recommended certification of the James Matthews House, 107 West School House Lane. 36-42 East Price Street, First Baptist Church of Germantown. (Owners: Palaise Temple Baptist Church). A fine late example of the Greek revival in Philadelphia, this one-story church stands on a raised basement with a Corinthian portico and gable roof. The facade of the church is distinguished by its Greek Temple appearance. It was constructed in 1852-1853 from the design of Samuel Sloan to house the First Baptist congregation to take root in Germantown. A one-story addition ends on the west side of the ground floor. This building has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 36-42 East Price Street, First Baptist Church of Germantown. 5140 Morris Street, Manheim. (Owner: Germantown Cricket Club). Manheim is an excellent example of the Georgian revival. The center building is a 2½ story brick building with 3 pavilions on the front side and a two-story porch on the side facing the playing fields. It was constructed in 1820-1821 from the designs of Charles M. Wain of West. Wain, and White, who also designed the addition of the wings in 1902 and 1907. The Germantown Cricket Club holds the distinction of being the second oldest cricket club in the United States, after all Philadelphia. This building has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 5140 Morris Street, Manheim, home of the Germantown Cricket Club. 3622 Ridge Avenue, Laurel Hill Cemetery. (Owners: Laurel Hill Cemetery). Laurel Hill Cemetery was laid out in 1836 by John Notman. The entrance was completed in 1837 although the other buildings on the grounds were not completed until 1839. It described were than a burial ground, Notman designed a picturesque arboretum and a prototype for public parks in America. The gatehouse is a two-story stone building with stuccoed-brick lateral walls, flat roof and a
completed in 1837 although the other buildings on the grounds were not completed until 1839. It described were than a burial ground, Notman designed a picturesque arboretum and a prototype for public parks in America. The gatehouse is a two-story stone building with stuccoed-brick lateral walls, flat roof and a flat Doric colonnade working with parapet result entrance, measuring approximately 65' by 90'. This building appears on the Historic American Buildings Survey. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 3622 Ridge Avenue, the Laurel Hill Cemetery Gatehouse. 1601-1619 Diamond Street, The George W. Smith Memorial Protestant Church of the Advocate. (Owners: Trustees of the Church of the Advocate). Erected 1851-1857 from the designs of Charles M. Burns, this building was generally described in contemporary newspaper accounts as being modeled on Amiens Cathedral. It sits slightly askew on its lot to line up true east-west, following the law according to ancient medieval custom. In plan, it takes the laterals French articulated cruciform share of long nave by broad transept, and terminated by the developed chevete. The Church provides Philadelphia with a rare example of the monumental masonry core that characterized the grand public and ecclesiastical architecture of Europe. This building is registered with the Pennsylvania Inventory and recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 1601-1619 Diamond Street, The George W. Smith Memorial Protestant Church of the Advocate. 2-8 East Girard Avenue, a.k.a. 1145-1162 Fairmount Avenue, Kensington National Bank. (Owners: The First Pennsylvania Company). Designed by Frank Furnese in 1877, the Kensington National Bank remains the only one of three surviving banking structures by Furnese and the only one used as a bank. It is one of the trust Non-Bank Financial structures designed. The corner is cut off at an angle for the entrance and vestigial [HANDWRITTEN NOTES: Top left corner: checkmark mark (✓) in pen] facade decorative emphasis, rising to a large clock at the top with ornamental base inscribed in the stonework in a rustic style lettering. The surfaces are enriched with incised linear and floral ornament, ironwork grills of abstract patterns at the windows and rundles and other Neo-Grec details. The building is recorded with the Historic American Building Survey. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 2-6 West Girard Avenue, a.k.a. 1142-1162 Frankford Avenue, The Kensington National Bank. 729 South 2nd Street. (Owner: Irida Udall) This 2½ story, brick building was
the windows and rundles and other Neo-Grec details. The building is recorded with the Historic American Building Survey. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 2-6 West Girard Avenue, a.k.a. 1142-1162 Frankford Avenue, The Kensington National Bank. 729 South 2nd Street. (Owner: Irida Udall) This 2½ story, brick building was erected 1843 by Samuel Fortin in the Southampton of the city as a dwelling and store. Alterations c. 1900 changed the appearance of the ground floor string in a turn-of-the-century shopfront. Mr. Bud Rose of Bud Rose & Associates appeared before the Committee to request certification. He was responsible for recent alterations to the building which had been vacant for approximately 10 years. It was pointed out by the Committee that, although the interior of the building demonstrated its historical qualities, there remained little on the outside to show this. Regarding here to the problem with 2129 Cypress Street in which Louis Kahn did interior alterations with little sympathetic exterior alterations, the Committee felt that it could not recommend for certification a private building in which only the interior space qualified it as a historical structure. The Committee unanimously recommended that 729 South 2nd Street not be certified. Druin Mair. The Heating House, 777 W. Valley Green Road. (The present Carriage House, Owner: James Rise). The Heating House is a two-story Wissahickon schist building with a bracketed eave treatment above and a brick and stone gritstone side, both of which were initially attached to greenhouses. The building measures 28 feet 1 inches by 20.5 feet and has an overhanging slate gable roof. The front, or northeast facades architected the buildings direction since 1907, when the Heating House was altered to a ground story garage with a second-story apartment. During, Odie & Ziegler were responsible for this alteration. Mr. James Rise, owner and developer of this property, appeared before the Committee to request certification and explain his proposal for incorporating the Heating House into the overall development of the Druin Mair Estate. He plans to restore it to its 1907 appearance and add a new structure compatible with the original design to the northwest facade. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Druin Mair Heating House, 777 W. Valley Green Road. 1217 N. 4th Street. (Owner: W. H. Yasetein). Erected c. 1825, 1217 N. 4th Street stands two-and-one-half stories in height with a two-bay front measuring approximately sixteen feet. Of
to the northwest facade. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of the Druin Mair Heating House, 777 W. Valley Green Road. 1217 N. 4th Street. (Owner: W. H. Yasetein). Erected c. 1825, 1217 N. 4th Street stands two-and-one-half stories in height with a two-bay front measuring approximately sixteen feet. Of frame construction, the house itself is only thirteen feet deep with an all eighteen feet in depth and fourteen feet in width. Two safe-stllum brick additions extend from the sills; the first is two stories high and measures 11 by 12 feet, the second rises but two story, 18 x 12. A one-story, 6 x 12 wooden shed completes the structure. This modest frame building as a compensation of the simulated situation and early development of the Third Avenue. Early and mid-scale accompanied the expansion of Philadelphia well north of the pre-grid nation city. After some disagreement, the Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 1418 Street, N.W. as an integral part of the streetscape of OLD CITY NATIONAL HISTORY DISTRICT In its earliest effort to certify buildings in the Old City National Historic District locally, the staff presented several structures added to the Committee Review. Certification of these buildings, added to those already listed by Commission designation, did not constitute a pre-individual nomination for the Committee's consideration. BUILDINGS RECOMMENDED FOR INCLUSION TO THE PHILADELPHIA REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES 219-221 Race Street. (Owners: City of Philadelphia). A one-story masonry, two-bay, brick building was built as a mate for a police station. A keystone and lintels grade fire station. The 3-bays on the first floor have with garage openings. A heavy dentil cornice site above these openings. Although this building fails to qualify as part of the Old City District, the Committee believed that it contained enough architectural fabric to merit its certification. The Committee voted 4-1 to recommend certification of 219-221 Race Street. Mr. Pikowski voted in opposition. 323-325 Race Street. (Owners: City of Philadelphia). Erected 1910 as a police station, this three-story, three-floor contains a rounded area of early 20th Century style. The facade is highlighted by relieved corners in all bays; architectural styles and the second floor cornice lintels between the remainder with ground and very cornice immediately above the third floor openings. Although this building falls to quality as part of the nineteenth century commercial district, the Committee believed that it building sufficient enough architectural significance to merit
all bays; architectural styles and the second floor cornice lintels between the remainder with ground and very cornice immediately above the third floor openings. Although this building falls to quality as part of the nineteenth century commercial district, the Committee believed that it building sufficient enough architectural significance to merit its certification. Chestnut Street. A two-story, three-bay brick, Leigh M. Cahan and camel lander). The ground floor has a rounded area of early 20th commercial of the building created. The lintels rounded with the walls and Lintels on the second floor; the 3rd floor and 4th floor are plain, the remainder through the 4th floor. and Ash Alcoves. A large brick cornice is supported by 7 large and 10 small corbels. This building clearly reflects the nineteenth century character of the District. The Committee unanimously recommended the certification of 123 Chestnut Street. 149-151 N. 2nd Street, Fireman's Hall. (Omers City of Philadelphia). A two-and-a-half story, three-bay, brick fire station erected 1893 from the plans of Thomas H. Seeds, Jr. to house Engine Company No. 8, the direct descendant of Benjamin Franklin's Union Fire Company, the first fire company in Philadelphia. The Fire Department established its museum in this building in 1967 and christened it Fireman's Hall in 1975. Alterations in 1976 restored the building to its present appearance. The two bays on the ground floor are filled with large double leaf doors with fanlights above the lower cornice. The building sits on a stone base. The fanlight openings have brick arches with keystones above. The second floor has three openings adorned with fanlights and brick arches. Keystones center each arch. A metal balcony hangs at the second floor level. A stepped gable roof with a tri-part dormer completes the face of this building. This building is recorded with the Historic American Building Survey. As a representative fire house of the last decade of the 19th Century, this building conforms to the character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended certification of 149-151 N. 2nd Street, Fireman's Hall. 54-58 N. 3rd Street. (Owners Third and Arch Streets Associates). A five-story, nine-bay, brick, commercial building erected 1851. The first two stories are cast-iron. The ground floor contains the characteristic iron pilasters and bracketed supports a 2nd floor balcony fronted by an entablature. The 2nd floor has clustered piers separating the openings with their slightly painted segmental arches. The
Associates). A five-story, nine-bay, brick, commercial building erected 1851. The first two stories are cast-iron. The ground floor contains the characteristic iron pilasters and bracketed supports a 2nd floor balcony fronted by an entablature. The 2nd floor has clustered piers separating the openings with their slightly painted segmental arches. The 3rd to 5th floors have 6 bays each, containing within each bay 2 narrow windows with stone sills and decorative cast-iron lintels. A molded wood cornice sits atop this building. In its design, use and date, this building reflects the commercial character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended certification of 54-58 N. 3rd Street. 60-66 N. 3rd Street, St. Charles Hotel. (Owners Trust of Philadelphia Early Meeting of Friends). A five-story, eight-bay, brick, commercial building erected 1851 by Charles Hutnam, builder, on the St. Charles Hotel. Its full cast iron front has the characteristic ground floor piers and entablature of its period. The upper floors are made into a simulated ashler design. The windows are of the same design as 54-58 N. 3rd Street and have a similar decorative cast-iron lintel. A heavy dentil cornice completes the facade of this building. Recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey, this building reflects the nineteenth century commercial character of the District. The Committee unanimously recommended certification of 60-66 N. 3rd Street, the St. Charles Hotel. ADDITIONS ACCEPTED TO THE SPECIMEN FROM THE PHILADELPHIA REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES 208-210 Race Street Constructed 1923, this building stands one story high and three bays wide. The building does not reflect the predominant nineteenth century character of the district. It was proposed for ratification on May 1, 1980. The motion died for want of a second. However, no motion was made to strike it from the Commission's list. It was brought before the Committee with the request to strike it from the list. The Committee stood by its original recommendation that the building be accepted and recommended let not to strike this building from the Register. Janet Klein opposed. 111 Chestnut Street The two-story, two-bay, brick structure was erected 1951. This building has no relationship or significance to the nineteenth century character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended striking 111 Chestnut Street from the Register. 203 Chestnut Street The two-story, three bay, brick building was erected 1946. This building has no relationship or significance to the
building has no relationship or significance to the nineteenth century character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended striking 111 Chestnut Street from the Register. 203 Chestnut Street The two-story, three bay, brick building was erected 1946. This building has no relationship or significance to the nineteenth century character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended striking 203 Chestnut Street from the Register. 313 Chestnut Street The seven-story, one-bay, steel frame building with brick curtain walls, was erected 1953 by the First Pennsylvania Company on the site of the Furness-designed National Bank of the Republic. This building has no relationship or significance to the nineteenth century character of the Old City National Historical District. The Committee unanimously recommended striking 313 Chestnut Street from the Register. There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m. Respectfully submitted, Jefferson M. Moak Historical Research Coordinator