So I represent the owners of 3613 North 16th Street. We were supposed to have a second RCO meeting, but there was a misunderstanding about the date and time.
We'd like to have the case still heard today, but would ask that it may be held for a vote until we can meet with the RCO.
We just didn't want to have to continue us down to October or November, given we've made substantial revisions.
And this case has now been in front of the chairman and the board twice.
I think we can accommodate you.
Any problems with that, Tanya?
I defer to counsel for that, Sharon.
So, Ms. Pritzker, did you have a meeting already?
Okay, and this is the second meeting?
Okay, we could accommodate that. Thank you.
We do have a letter of non-opposition in this case.
All right. So, okay, we'll hear the case. And then we'll resume.
I wasn't aware of any letter of non-opposition. If we have a letter of non-opposition, then we might not need to hold the case. I just wasn't aware of any letters of non-opposition.
okay um i will send that to you now and when your case is called you can let the board know if you
still want to go forward all right thank you so much well what i'm seeing in our notes and correct
me from wrong sharon is that the 13th democrat ward sent a letter of opposition but the
neighbors sent a letter of non-opposition is that i'm sorry that's there are two rcos they've taken
different positions right so in that event we would still do the here and hold because unna
is an affected rco but the 13th democratic ward is the coordinating rco okay so we'll do that
when we get to it thank you thank you very much any other requests for continuances or withdrawals
sir we have miss hillary langer with her hand raised i will allow her to speak at this time
excuse me this is Sharon I believe Mr. Langer is um here for the Midvale case so we should
probably call Mr. Bertil too okay well let me swear Mr. Langer in and then we'll get Mr. Bertil
on Mr. Langer please spell your full name and I'll swear you in Hillary Langer H-I-L-A-R-Y-L-A-N-G-E-R
we're from the tell the truth the whole truth nothing but the truth yes i do you are representing
east falls community council i'm the zoning chair
till available good afternoon mr chair steve bertill on behalf of the applicant b-e-r-t-i-l
you swear from the tell truth the whole truth nothing but the truth
uh yes i do all right uh there's a obviously there's conflicting uh one mr bertill you're
asking that the case go forward and i believe east falls community council is it is opposed
to a continuance uh is that correct uh no it was the reverse uh east falls community council
requesting
but I have an
update since then but I did want
to provide the context with the board
and then provide an update
yeah let's go forward with that and again my
apologies I did it backwards thank you
no problem
as I stated
so just to provide some
context with the board to
refresh some recollections
this matter
this appeal was an accelerated appeal with the first hearing being in January 27th of this year.
Prior to that, there was two community meetings with the East Falls Community Council. At the
initial hearing, the East Falls Community Council did oppose a variance request for multiple
reasons, one of which including some, I guess, miscommunication and confusion regarding the
use on the second level of the proposed structure, which was an accessory dwelling unit above two
parking spaces. Since at that hearing, because of that confusion, and in addition to multiple
dimensional issues that the East Falls Community Council had with the proposed project.
The board allowed us to go back to LNI to obtain a revised refusal and to also make
revisions to the project to the highlighted comments of East Falls Community Council and
to the highlighted comments of East Falls Community Council and some of the community concerns.
some of the community concerns.
We did that subsequent to the board hearing this project. At the time when we went back to L&I,
they reassessed the entire project under this use and then issued a new refusal. We didn't receive
the new refusal until June. We passed it along to East Falls Community Council the same day
and requested a community meeting
so we could present the complete overhaul of the project.
At that time, we were informed
that they don't typically meet during the summer,
which was obviously problematic
because we had an August 3rd hearing.
And so that was sort of the initial issue.
Subsequent to that, we were informed
that they were able to meet um on july 21st unfortunately i had two rco community meetings
that night already and i said requested another date and um they weren't able to accommodate um
well apparently they weren't able to accommodate due to the continuance request um was the response
to that um so because this has been going going this application was in november of 2020 um we
believed um that we made basically every change that we made was in response to a comment that
they made um and we essentially got rid of almost every um refusal um except for two now um we we
that's why we initially opposed the request because again that was our first communication
about meeting since they couldn't meet on the 21st since then i was able to connect with um
the zoning chair, and I informed him that if we can be placed on their August 18th agenda,
that I will inform the board that we would be willing to, if possible, obviously I understand
the scheduling constraints of Ms. Sunk and her team, but I informed him that I would be willing
to not oppose the continuous request if we can maybe do it as a continued resumption sometime
time um after that meeting um i mean that said we're ready to go today but to sort of just
operate in good faith um and frankly we're really excited about about our redesigns um and we you
know we don't want to we're not here to hide it from anyone um but we just wanted to get a meeting
that's you know we didn't want to get continued down to december or anything like that for
something that we were ready to present to the community in june um and so that's where we sort
are today um since the since the rco made that request mr msunkit as tanya if if we were to do
a resumption hearing we hear the case and resume it and uh at which time we were making this
decision based on feedback from the rco what would be the earliest date
rough if you don't have a specific date i mean close
chair could we ask mr langer if he would be willing to um have the hearing go forward today
and have the another date scheduled only for reading of the new rco letter into the record
kind of where i was going i wanted to find out from tanya because
um according to mr batill he doesn't want this thing obviously to go to december i'm not saying
it would i'm just trying to get a sense of that um okay hi i'm sorry this is tanya um it's it's
allowable if it's only going to be a letter reading okay whatever date you decide chair
okay very good as long as mr langer understands that there would be no testimony i'm going to go
to mr langer now thank you both mr langer yes look um i communicated with uh mr burtel um
yesterday. We agreed to put him on an August 18th meeting for neighbors and community
to review this completely new proposal and design, and also have the opportunity to interface with
the owner and their attorney, because there are outstanding questions that were designed about
how the building is going to be used. So the community has not had an opportunity
in a full face meeting to really go over the design. So we, and they're not represented here
in this meeting today as neighbors, because they understood that this was going to be continued
based on a conversation I had yesterday with Mr. Bertil.
I had yesterday with Mr. Bertil. So I would request that we go ahead with our August 18th
So I would...
meeting. I'd be more than happy to have a new hearing date in September, if that can be arranged.
Give the community a chance to go over the new design.
i hear you but i can guarantee you you'll not have a hearing in september
so what i would suggest is that mr langer would go go forward with the hearing
your organization will have an opportunity to meet with mr bertell and his his uh
his client on the 18th of august whatever you guys decide at that meeting will be presented
to us and we'll have we'll only take the feedback from that meeting and that could be done on
Wednesday I believe the 8th 24th of August Tuesday the 24th I'm sorry chair we have nothing scheduled
for the 24th it would have to be Wednesday the 25th all right but on that on my hearing list
to have the 24th on air all right so it would be wednesday the 25th so we're just yes just to be
clear is that for testimony or only for reading the rest only for reading yes excuse me my voice
is a little going yeah would not it would not be for testimony at that point do you take a vote
after the reading of the letter?
What happens today?
Take into consideration comments
of the letter from the RCO.
Again, you're going to have a whole different set of plans
that you may agree on or may not.
We don't know.
But you're going to have enough time.
If this case gets continued,
you're looking at maybe October, November at the earliest,
if I'm not mistaken.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Chandra.
Yes, Chair.
Are we looking at mid to late November?
Chair, if I could also suggest if there is feedback from other neighbors involved,
they can also submit a letter for the board to review at the time they have executive session.
Yeah, several letters have been submitted from neighbors, but they'll be more than happy to submit more.
but but I do I do need to say for the record that this is about the legalization of a structure
that was built without a zoning permit without construction permits we understand that and I
really think we we should sorry sir um I I do believe that the chair would like to move forward
with this thank you kindly okay uh any other requests for continuous withdrawals two o'clock
list charles richardson has his hand up sir i will allow him to speak at this time
by yourself and i'll swear you in good afternoon mr chair charles richardson from the office of
Councilwoman Cindy Bass, room 312 City Hall.
Do you want to tell the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth?
I was just trying to alert you to the fact that Charles Korn, the chair of the 13th Ward RCO, has his hand raised.
I think he wants to speak with regard to the case that Rachel was speaking about earlier.
And I just wanted to make sure that he was heard.
We do not have him with his hands up at this time.
All righty.
We'll see when we get to it, all right?
Okay, anyone else?
Ms. Suzanne Penn has her hand raised.
I'm allowing her to speak at this time, sir.
Thank you.
Good afternoon.
Ma'am, please spell your full name and I'll swear you in.
Please unmute yourself.
Ms. Penn?
Thank you.
Ms. Penn, you're still muted.
thank you please proceed suzanne penn s-u-z-a-n-n-e p-e-n-n if you can speak a little
bit closer to the mic or raise your voice that would be helpful do you swear from the tell the
truth the whole truth nothing about the truth i do please proceed am i allowed now to make
comments about 3018 Midvale Avenue. We didn't open that case up yet. Mr. Bertil will present
his case and then we will open it up for questions. Okay, thank you. Thank you.
and then we will open it up for questions okay thank you thank you uh anyone requesting you
continue with your withdrawal no further answer this time mr chair okay thank you so with that
we will begin case number mi 2020-002758 3018 midville avenue mr bertill
Mr. Bertil?
No, please.
We don't see your hand.
We lost you.
Confessor.
our secretary yeah it doesn't appear he's available
yes chair uh no i was going to tell mr patel wait for you but he hasn't we lost him i believe
his is a resumption here right no no this is number three on our list yep it is a resumption
oh yeah i'm sorry it is yeah no yeah apologize either way we still have it we lost mr brittell
so chair if we can move forward and i will try to reach out to him and get him yep let's go to
the next case thank you mi 2020 that's zero zero zero two four seven three six two five north
22nd Street
Darlene Threat
is the attorney of record
there was a letter from the 13th Ward
Democratic
Ward, a letter in opposition
from the 13th Democratic Ward
Sir, Ms. Threat has been
promoted to panamist
Ms. Threat, please spell your full name
and I'll swear you in
Thank you
13th board
Ms. Threatt
Good afternoon, Commissioners.
Darlene Threatt on behalf of the applicants.
Can you hear me?
Yes, please spell your full name.
Darlene, D-A-R-L-E-N-E
Last name Threatt
T as in Thomas